Saturday, July 12, 2008

Flashback Friday

This past week Emilie and Bree went on the pioneer trek with our stake. I am so proud of them for going even without the happiest of attitude about the whole idea of walking for miles and miles, sleeping under the stars and eating who knows what. Seeing the girls come home last night with yucky hair, sunburnt faces, and blisters on their feet has humbled me so much. To think of the pioneers having to experience that day after day until they reached Utah amazes me. I am so thankful for their sacrifices and their faith to endure so much for us. My great-great-great grandfather was Lot Smith, who was partners with Porter Rockwell in the Mormon Battalion, is truly one of my heros. He fought for what he believed in to bring his family to Utah and following the footsteps of our prophets. He later became the first sheriff of Davis County. I know that as the pioneers made their way across the plains we cheered for them while we were in heaven knowing they were laying the stepping stones for us, and I am sure those same pioneers are in heaven cheering us on while all that this world has for us to overcome. We all live in comfortable homes with beds to sleep in, food on our tables, but we deal with all the other evils in the world. I want Em and Bree to know how proud I am for them and for strength to complete the trek. They are also my heroes. Love you girls!!!

4 comments:

kari said...

congrats you two for doing the treck. Me and curt were going to go be a ma and pa this year, which would have been our first time going, but it fell on the same day of my brothers wedding and well.. i can't miss that! You both are darling girls.

Sandy said...

Good Job Girls! I never had the opportunity to go on trek and I wish that I had. Mckinzie went on TREK this year also and she told me that she has so much more appreciation for what the pioneers had to go through. What a once in a lifetime experience. I think that TREK is one of the best activities that the LDS church has for the youth today! I am just grateful that we had such great ancestors.

Jeni said...

Your girls are so cute! It's amazing what trek does for you..especially being grateful for what we have & what they did for us & really any religion that suffers from persecution. Your post was beautiful paige...you made me bawl.

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

What an amazing experience for your girls. Emily made us all so proud with her testimony on Sunday. Congratulations both of you for participating in a hard thing that was a good thing. Love, Jane, Jeni's Mom